Creme Egg? Erm… no thanks. Creme Egg Brownies? Anything with brownies is a deffo yes. How do you eat your Creme Egg. If I actually ate whole Creme Eggs, which I don’t simply because I’m a super fussy eater, I would bite off the top scoop out the inside and then eat the outer chocolate ‘shell’. I have this thing where I take apart chocolates which I eat in layers, rather than take one big bite and eat all components together. Weird I know!
I have several, and by several I mean around 15 brownie recipes. All vary in textures, flavour and sweetness. I chose this one because of its not too fudgy texture which compliments well with the chewy fondant centres and the deep cocoa balances out the sweetness. Still fudgy, but not too chewy, ooey and gooey. You could use mini Creme Eggs if you prefer which would be probably easier than sawing these open attempting to get some sort of perfect halves, which is harder than you may think.
For the brownies…
160g dark chocolate
200g caster sugar
95g plain flour
45g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Creme Eggs halved (you should have 12 pieces, plus a few extra just in case they break)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and flour a 32cm X 19cm (or something near enough) baking tray or foil tray. (I used this)
- Melt together the butter and chocolate in a bain-marie or a microwave and allow to cool down.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar till very pale an fluffy. When you lift up the beaters the egg mix should leave a trail. This is also called ribbon stage.
- Pour half the chocolate mix onto on side of the bowl so it doesn’t deflate the eggs. Fold in gently till half combined, then fold in the remainder of the chocolate and all of the dry ingredients.
- Pour the brownie batter into the foil tray and bake for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins remove from the oven and evenly space out the eggs, pushing them down gently into the brownie batter.
- Bake for a further 15 mins and allow to cool before slicing into 12 portions. Each person should have their own Creme Egg.
Oh So Sweet Baker x